Provided by the Arconic Foundation (formerly Alcoa Foundation), the Chuck McLane Scholarship is a $10,000 college scholarship awarded to two Girl Scout Gold Award recipients whose projects involved science, technology, engineering, and/or math (STEM).
In June of 2013, GSUSA announced the five year Chuck McLane Scholarship available for Girl Scout Gold Award Recipients. The scholarship program awards a $10,000 college scholarship to two (2) recipients each year, up to a total of ten (10) recipients by 2017. Meet the eight scholarship recipients awarded to date.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Girl Scout Gold Award recipients who completed a STEM Take Action Project (project
involves a STEM field – Science, Technology, Engineering or Math)
- Recipients who will attend an accredited four year college or university as a freshman beginning in the fall 2017 to pursue and complete studies in a STEM-related field. (At time of submission, applicants may not be enrolled in college yet but will have to confirm enrollment before scholarship can be awarded.)
The parameters and structures of the scholarship include:
- Scholarships are awarded to Gold Award recipients with an innovative, sustainable
STEM-related Take Action Project that has significant impact on a community.
- Strong focus on girls from diverse and underrepresented communities.
- Recipients must be enrolled in an accredited four year college, beginning their freshman
year in the fall of 2017, and complete their studies in a STEM-field. (Recipients will be
required to submit transcripts after their sophomore year showing they are pursuing
studies in a STEM-related field and have maintained a grade point average of at least 3.0.)
- Distribution of payments will be as follows: Recipients will receive the first $5,000 for
their freshman fall semester followed by the second $5,000 for her fall junior year.
- Scholarship funds may be used exclusively to defray educational costs such as tuition,
fees, books, and supplies, as well as room and board in a college dormitory.
- Review the scholarship application to eligible Girl Scout Gold Award Recipients.
- Girls should submit completed applications to their council by February 13, 2017
- Girl Scouts of Citrus will review the girls’ applications and select up to two nominees utilizing the scholarship parameters.
- Applications should be submitted as a Word document and the file name should include “First Name_ Last Name_Council Name_2017 Alcoa Scholarship.” A panel of corporate and community leaders will assist GSUSA in choosing two scholarship recipients from the pool of nominees.
- Councils and applicants will be notified by May 8, 2017.